Friday 2 October 2009

Alpha Course - My Reasons

I took the step to attend the Alpha course after watching a television programme, broadcast in late June, presented by Jon Ronson, following the events of the course itself and the participants.

Ronson has also written for the Guardian on the subject, a piece that also makes interesting reading for anyone considering the course.

The programme was undeniably intriguing - a mixture of people seemed to attend, it appeared to be well-meaning or subtle enough not to appear anything else, and the techniques employed did not seem to me to be particularly sinister or pressurised, although there was one particularly uncomfortable section which dealt with "Speaking in tongues".
That said, I am always sharply aware of the editing methods employed by mainstream television companies, and it left me wondering what had been omitted and what had been enhanced.
Moreover, it gave a forum to voice thoughts and feelings on the big issues (perhaps the biggest issue) in a way that nothing else seemed to.

As such, my interest was piqued and I decided to register, indeed during the programme itself via my trusty laptop.

On a note of balance, if any atheists out there are running an equivalent in the area - perhaps the "Beta Course" will kick off sometime soon - I'd be more than interested to hear about it as a comparative exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment